Hello everybody, the aim is to know a database NewSQL called NuoDB.
Come on ?
The emergence of NewSQL
The NewSQL is a term created by the group451 in 2011. The aim was to keep the NoSQL features without losing the attributes of a relational database. The search for this balance began to unite two distant worlds, where the relational database is more traditional and familiar, widespread, certainly for many years has been the first choice when it comes to database, because it’s so widespread.
But the NoSQL, which means “Not SQL Only” where the idea is to not only use SQL to all problems, is a scalable, performance and high availability for storage of a large amount of data (big data), area where the relational database is failing and seeks improvement. The NoSQL is reaching a large group of developers today, but is not always an easy task basis of adherence to NoSQL rightfully require training of users since the databases do not have a language “standard” SQL style of relational databases . Until recently the NoSQL databases did not guarantee data integrity (ACID), which also generated suspicion upon accession. Against this backdrop, the group451 had the idea to get the best of both worlds and create Newsql.
It is always good to remember: “Use the right tool for the job”. I do not know this phrase? Access our post about NoSQL and find out.
Features Here are the main features inherited from the relational database and NoSQL for creation of NewSQL:
1) Use SQL as a standard for data manipulation linguem
2) Type of Persistence ACID
3) Data replication between cluster nodes to ensure the persistence
4) A different isolation level of the relational database, with much less locking.
5) Unlike current technologies cluster, the NewSQL have an architecture that provides a much higher performance per node, plus the ability to run on multiple nodes simultaneously without bottlenecks.
6) The high memory usage to ensure the speed of NoSQL databases.
With these features the NewSQL is a robust and flexible solution, adapted to the changing needs of applications that need to manipulate and query a large amount of data instantly.
The NuoDB is a proprietary database type NewSQL. Its features to the SQL query language, and many advantages such as scalability, performance and persistence of the type ACID data. Here are the most striking features of this true database designed for use in cloud.
The Scaling on demand allows you to add new machines to a cluster NuoDB machines easily, so hardware costs and lower software to those of traditional relational databases. It allows tens of logical machines responding to a single database that can be anywhere in the world that has an internet link where the data can be synchronized with the guarantee of persistence.
All in environments that can be heterogeneous. Enable the use of distributed databases is also a big plus when we think of latency which is a great enemy of the performance of applications that need to travel on their data on links until you reach the database. With NuoDB and their bases geo-distributed and the effect of latency this effect is minimized since the replication of the data is robust.
The administrative layer ensures scalability through load balancing, providing agents that enable remote management, receiving requests and perform administrative functions such as starting the database or generate logs. Transactional layer is responsible for ensuring the proper functioning of the ACID (atomicity, consistency, isolation), leaving the durability to be guaranteed by the storage layer. Since the storage layer has agents responsible for managing a specific disk space, that this is a copy of the local database, awaiting commands from the transaction layer to persist.
With this architecture to availability continues is another strong feature of NuoDB databases, since the constant replication of data allows for a clustered environment in the event of failure of any node, the other nodes can take without any problems and transparently to the user.
The NuoDB also has a administration web interface very common where the user can easily monitor all databases of your choice using a custom Dashboard also allows you to create rules so that for example in the case of unavailability of a node, another node to start with few settings. In addition to greatly simplify the creation of new databases.
With all these advantages the NuoDB still makes SQL type queries. That’s a big difference, because a large investment in training is not necessary, nor is it necessary to rewrite all the queries to migrate part of an application for NuoDB.
To perform the installation of NuoDB will be necessary to carry out the download , which can be done on the same site where they are available installers all platforms. Just follow a simple wizard to install. After installation simply login link http: // localhost: 8080 / and displays the administration interface below.
Below the operating system interface ports to be used by default:
|8080||Web management tool|
|8888||HTTP server receives requests for services|
|8889||HTTP server receives administrative appeals|
|48004 e 48005+||Used by NuoDB engine for internal transactions|
forms of communication and supported languages
The NuoDB has a great documentation with respect to database communication with programming languages.
To make the connection to the database it must obtain the drivers, and the NuoDB has the following drivers:
- JDBC, with a file extension jar, to connect to the database used in the Java programming language.
- Hibernate, similar to JDBC, but is focused on Hibernate (Java Development Framework)
- ODBC, allows connection with several languages, such as:. C ++, Delphi, Visual Basic, among others
- UnixODBC, similar to ODBC, but returned to UNIX-based operating systems.
- .NET, written in C # driver for connection to the database.
- PHP PDO configuration file to the PHP language.Despite the range of available drivers by NuoDB, the community created other drivers to tailor the platform, such as Node.js, PHP, SilverStripe, Ruby, Python, Drupal, GO and Perl.At the time of installation of the application you can install examples of database use, examples are available in the following languages: C ++, Java, JRuby and Java using Hibernate framework.
If you reached this far, you are ready to explore the world NewSQL and NuoDB .
Thank you and see you soon.